Senior/Staff Fullstack Engineer: ModelOps (Incubation Engineering)
Company: Git Lab
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Those in Single Engineer Groups (SEG) at GitLab work in the
engineering department to initiate a planned or minimal maturity
category into the GitLab project. This Single-Engineer Group has a
focus on ModelOps, which will be focused on enabling data teams to
build, test, and deploy their machine learning models. This will be
net new functionality within GitLab and will bridge the gap between
DataOps teams, data scientists, and development teams to get data
science workloads deployed to production.
Single engineer groups will work across the backend (Ruby on
Rails and Go), and frontend (Vue.js) parts of our application. The
work is weighted more strongly towards the backend, rather than
At GitLab, we believe in the power of a single engineer to
accomplish amazing feats. Many open source projects started with a
single engineer's decision to build around a problem they
personally experienced. For instance, Continuous Integration by DZ
and GitLab Runner by Kamil. In single engineer groups, we create
room for this energy.
We can guarantee a higher rate of success by incubating ideas
inside our larger organization and existing code base while
limiting the negative aspects of friction that come from a larger
organization. A few benefits of SEG include:
- There are lots of decisions to be made, which happen more
effectively in a single brain.
- There is not enough code for multiple people to work on without
running into merge conflicts.
- Starting work earlier allows for more time for other people to
contribute. We need to have a head start many years ahead of
The culture here at GitLab is something we're incredibly proud
of. Some of the benefits you'll be entitled to vary by the region
or country you're in. However, all GitLab team members are fully
remote and receive a "no ask, must tell" paid-time-off policy,
where we don't count the number of days you take off annually --
instead, we focus on your results. You can work the hours you
choose, enabled by our asynchronous approach to communication. You
can also expect stock options and a competitive salary. Our
compensation calculator will be shared with selected candidates
before any interview.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DIB) are fundamental to the
success of GitLab. We want to infuse DIB in every way possible and
in all that we do. We strive to create a transparent environment
where all team members around the world feel that their voices are
heard and welcomed. We also aim to be a place where people can show
up as their full selves each day and contribute their best. With
more than 100,000 organizations using GitLab, our goal is to have a
team that is representative of our users.
- Develop features and improvements to accomplish amazing things
in a single engineer group. This person is a self-reliant team of
one who does everything necessary to bring features from 0 to
- Understand the needs of those responsible for machine learning,
and applies them to create awesome solutions to meet their
- Solve technical problems of high scope and complexity.
- Craft code that meets our internal standards for style,
maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale web
- Confidently ship and demo small features and improvements with
minimal guidance and support from other team members.
- Represent GitLab and its values in public communication around
specific projects and community contributions.
- A single engineer group at GitLab knows "just enough" product
management, UX, quality, documentation, and project management
principles to get the job done.
Nice to have
- Being an early contributor to a successful open source
- Working successfully on a prior single-engineer group
- Being a prior company technical cofounder or experience in a
peak performance organization, preferably a tech startup
- Experience with the GitLab product as a user or
- Product company experience
- Experience working with a remote team
- Enterprise software company experience
- Developer platform/tool industry experience
- Experience working with a global or otherwise multicultural
- Computer science education or equivalent experience
- Passionate about/experienced with open source and developer
Country Hiring Guidelines
Please visit our Country Hiring Guidelines page to see where we
For information about our privacy practices in the recruitment
Keywords: Git Lab, Eugene , Senior/Staff Fullstack Engineer: ModelOps (Incubation Engineering), Other , Remote, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!